Monday, December 28, 2015

Back on Track

So much good news all around!

1.  I figured out that my Mac has a slot for my memory card from my camera sooo I no longer have to wait until our sea shipment arrives to get the pictures off of my new camera. This means lots of catch up posts which I am sure you are all thrilled about.
2. We found an apartment! We can move in January 15th. More to come about that. I can't wait to no longer live the hotel life and have a real, functioning kitchen. 
3. I will have posts from our (very) recent trip to Budapest!

I don't even know where to start since there is a lot of catching up to do. Here are some scenes from the Christmas Market in Nuremberg which we went to a few times. And consumed a lot of gluhwein (which, I'm sure you've seen on the Insta).




It feels like a fairytale because it's so beautiful and Christmassy. Also, there's lots of amazing food. Including this fellow:


Essentially a sweet, fluffy dumpling with vanilla sauce. Ja. 

And


It's a terrible picture from my iPhone but this is the biggest "Feuerzangenbowle" in the world. Feuerzangenbowle translates to "fire tongs bowl" which is the process in which this ancient (exaggeration) concoction is made. A sugarloaf on hot tongs is soaked with rum and then burned. This deliciousness drips into a cauldron of hot, mulled wine with spices. If you look carefully, you can see a fire and a cauldron in the above picture. 


There's a mini village for this biggest Feuerzangenbowle in the world on the riverfront and you can get snacks and hangout by heated lamps. 

On Christmas Eve, my husband and I left for the city of Budapest. "Why Budapest?" you ask. Great question. But there's no clear answer. We decided we wanted to go somewhere, anywhere for Christmas since the European world is our oyster. Upon some research, it seemed as though Budapest wouldn't be completely shut down. We were mostly right about that.

We landed at night and like the shameless Americans that we are, we went out to dinner to a place down the street from our hotel (King's Hotel. Great location. Charming and old. But didn't feel super clean or welcoming). It was called Beer and Burger. As a side note, we got giant burgers, fries, and a beer (each of us) and paid only like 14 Euros total. Which is about 4,200 Hungarian Forints. That was fun math all week.


Although we had burgers and fries, we did have Hungarian beer.


My burger was a "duo" with chicken breast and a burger patty. I thought it meant that the ground meats were combined together. Turns out it was TWO patties. Oops. 

More Budapest to come! 





No comments:

Post a Comment