Friday, April 17, 2015

After Touching Jalapenos, Don't Touch Your Eyes

On Wednesday, I met up with some of my college friends at the Publick House in Brookline. Despite the fact that the lighting wasn't the best to take a picture in and facing immense peer pressure (just kidding), I did snap a photo of my food. They are known for their mac 'n cheese so obviously I had to get it. The cool thing is, you can pick and choose the ingredients to add in. I decided on peas, bacon, and tomatoes. It is served in this cute, little cast iron skillet


Last night's event was a cooking class that my friends Ashley, Cait, and I attended at the Good Life Kitchen in Norwell. The theme was Ladies Night Out: Caribbean Vacation. Amazing, right?

We arrived and quickly learned the place is BYOB. What!? For about 2 seconds we were really sad as we did not know this in advance but the building is connected to a liquor store. Problem solved, 2 bottles of wine later. After that we put on our aprons and name tags and had some cheese and crackers while we waited for the class to start.


We were separated into 2 groups and each had a leading chef. It wasn't a truly hands-on cooking class where we had a station or did a lot of cooking. It was more of a demonstration and the chef would have people volunteer to chop or mix something. But it was informative and just plain fun.


Our side of the room made a Jalapeno Cucumber Salad and a Grilled Pineapple with Macademia Nuts for dessert. 

Look at Cait and her guns juicing

The other side of the room worked on Grilled Coconut Shrimp with Mango Salsa, Jerk Chicken with Lime Creme, and Black Beans and Rice.

Ashely zesting like a pro

Our chef, A.J., actually worked under Ken Oringer of Clio, Toro, and others in Boston and NYC. Pretty cool! As a side note, it's best to use gloves when cutting up jalapeno as once the oils get on your hands, they stick. Then, if you rub your eyes (or other parts of your body), you are in for it. 

Cucumber Jalapeno Salad

Once the food was nearly finished, the chefs collated the dishes and set them out for all of us to enjoy.



It was really good!


The cucumber salad, the mango salsa, and the chicken were my favorites. Everything was enjoyable, though. And it's always good to end with dessert:


It was a really fun night and the tickets were only $55. I definitely recommend it if you enjoy food, eating, and or cooking. They have all kinds of interesting classes on deck including a night about pasta and a night about Greek food.

Happy and content after good food and (several) glasses of wine

Tonight we are laying low and I made a Spring Pasta from Blue Apron. I didn't order Blue Apron but the cool thing is that you can get all of their recipes right off the website. I did make a few changes to the recipe. You gotta work with what you got. 




I used my own homemade fresh pasta that I had frozen, used baby spinach instead of pea tips, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese instead of Pecorino Romano. Other than that, I followed this easy recipe pretty closely. It was perfect for a weeknight and was full of spring flavors.


Do you have any good weekend plans out there? For mine, you will find out when I post next!







No comments:

Post a Comment