Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Back on Track

It is nice to get back to a normal eating routine. Don't get me wrong, all of the food this weekend was AMAZING but time for regular food.


I should probably take some food styling lessons

I stick to shopping on the "outskirts" of the grocery store. Meaning fresh produce, dairy, meat, etc. I really try to avoid processed food except for random snacks. As you can see from this week's haul, it is 90% produce and a few other random products. But I'm super excited because I am cooking a number of recipes from *drumroll*....



Yes, this is a vegan cookbook. Clearly I'm not a vegan. I'm pretty sure the amount of charcuterie I ate on Saturday night alone amounted to a small pig. But I enjoy trying recipes from all kinds of lifestyles/diets like veganism, the Paleo diet, gluten-free diets, etc. I like a variety of my foods in my diet and strive to try new recipes. This cookbook was given to me by my awesome coworkers for my birthday. The photography is beautiful and the recipes are simple but flavorful. I have been following Angela Liddon's blog, Oh She Glows, for years.

I decided to do some prep for the week last night. This forces me to grab the already sliced fruit instead of the Cadbury Mini Eggs that my husband snuck into the pantry yesterday. Realistically I can't fully avoid the eggs. But prepping some snacks and meals for the week really makes life easier.


I <3 blood oranges

I cut up a number of veggies and fruits to make a juice for the week. I concocted my own recipe here and threw in a half a cucumber, 2 apples, 3 blood oranges, a lemon, 1/2 beet, and 1/4 of a pineapple. For winging it, it came out pretty good. It made about 5 cups of juice for early this week.



Next up I made the Out-the-Door Power Chia Donuts from The Oh She Glows Cookbook.


This was a really easy recipe and came together in less than 10 minutes (and baked for 20 minutes). The batter included baking powder, oat flour (I just processed rolled oats in my Ninja), chia seeds, cinnamon, maple syrup (I did half maple syrup and half honey because I'm low on the syrup), almond milk, salt, and I think that was it. I made a glaze with confectioners' sugar, lemon, and almond milk. The recipe includes a coconut lemon icing recipe but decided to do my own thing. I love the donut pans I (we) received as a wedding present. 


I also cut up some more fruit to have handy and called it a night.




Oh and I'm really excited about this....more to come! Any guesses on what this means??





2 comments:

  1. I love reading about all your foodie adventures (both in and out of the kitchen) Anytime you need an assistant or guinea pig I will gladly volunteer! I admire your fearlessness in the kitchen. Hailey and I are looking forward to learning lots from you!
    -Sarah
    P.S. I tried to comment 3 times so I really hope this goes through correctly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sarah!! You can totally be my sous chef/guinea pig. I'm so happy you are reading it and enjoying it.

    I'm also still trying to figure out how to use this thing!

    ReplyDelete