Thursday, March 5, 2015

Green Chutney and Chicken

No, this is not mold on my chicken.


This was a Middle-Eastern/Indian meal I guess you could say. 

The green stuff is actually a recipe taken from Carla Hall's Carla's Comfort Foods: Favorite Dishes From Around the World (thanks Sarah!). I am obsessed with The Chew and everyone on the show. I actually don't even know what time it is on every weekday (4pm?) but I DVR it so I can watch episodes when I have nothing else to watch. Carla is one of the five hosts on The Chew.

Carla's cookbook is unique in that she breaks down categories of meals/foods (soups, rice, potatoes, peas etc.) and within those categories are different recipes from around the world. She also notes what part of the world the recipe is influenced by. Pretty cool.

Anyways, the chutney had a really interesting combination of ingredients that attracted me to it. It contained peas, coconut, lime juice, garlic, mustard seeds, serrano pepper (I used jalapeno), and I think that is it. The mustard seeds were toasted then all ingredients went into the Ninja for a somewhat coarse texture. I grilled chicken and put it on top and voila, instant meal! Very easy.

On the side, I roasted a pound of carrots. I then made a mix of pomegranate molasses and honey to toss them in once they were out of the oven. I like when I can find uses for the bottle of pomegranate molasses that I have. You can make your own by boiling down pomegranate juice but the molasses have been pretty easy to find in grocery stores I've noticed.

Do you have any unusual or fun ingredients you like to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment