Thursday, March 19, 2015

Homemade Sushi

As promised, my friends and I made sushi last night. Yup, completely homemade. We were so proud of ourselves.

The sushi starts off with the rice. You have to get sushi rice as it gets that "sticky" texture that you absolutely need. I followed the instructions on the back of the nori (the dried seaweed sheet that you roll the sushi with) and I think it turned out great. Unfortunately I discovered, through research, that you can't make the sushi rice the night before as it will get hard in the fridge. So I made sure to leave work right at 5pm to get a head start on the rice. I also worked on cutting up carrots, cucumbers, sushi grade yellowfin tuna, and avocado to put into the sushi.

My friends from work, Danielle and Kristen, arrived with extra goodies. Danielle brought edamame, dumplings, and sake (EXTREMELY important) and Kristen brought ingredients for a salad and crunchy sweet potatoes to put into the sushi (trust me, it was amazing. Except when we reheated the fries we slightly burned them. But only sightly. Kristen had taken a sushi-making class in the past so she was our guide/dojo for the night (along with a sushi-making kit). 


Obviously wine is necessary. I'm pretty each picture will be a Where's Waldo of wine glasses. 



Danielle had the honors of making the first roll which was vegetarian. Truthfully I can't remember what was in it but our overall ingredients were tuna, sweet potatoes, avocado, spicy mayo, carrots, and cucumbers.


We are pros. For real. Who knew sushi was this easy?? The hard part is the prep and getting everything ready to go for rolling.


Kristen (above) was our master. We made about 4 rolls total which was more than enough sushi for us. We also had the edamame and salad. 


Kristen learned at her sushi-making class that that the best thing to do is cover the rice mat with plastic wrap so you don't have to worry about washing it. Genius!


We really enjoyed our sushi with the variations of the ingredients that we had. We accompanied the sushi with soy sauce and pickled ginger. I grabbed the sushi ingredients from Whole Foods because a whole section for sushi-making.



I have these adorable beer appetizer plates from Crate & Barrel that worked well for holding each type of sushi. But in reality made no sense whatsoever. 


All in all, it was a very successful night of sushi-making, wine, and sake. Also my husband's friends were over and one of his friends tried sushi for the first time ever. Hopefully he had a good experience.




Yours until the sushi rolls,
Alyssa








No comments:

Post a Comment