Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tomayto, Tomahto

As you saw from my previous post, I spent some time at the SOWA Market in Boston on Sunday. One of the things I got was a couple of heirloom tomatoes. I mean, they are just so fun (and funny) looking and always taste fresh. Each tomato has a unique taste too.


Aren't they beautiful?? I especially liked the one on the right, it is pretty funky looking. So the big question was, what to make with them?

Well, as to not keep you in suspense I planned on making enchiladas using the sauce recipe from the Roasted Pork and Caramelized Pineapple Enchiladas and figured I could use the tomatoes in a salsa. The sauce recipe is as follows:

Chipotle Enchilada Sauce
Serves: 4-6
Credit: How Sweet Eats

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 2/3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
15 ounces tomato sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Whisk in the flour and cook until it is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 more minutes before using. Taste and season additionally if needed. I like to make this while the pork is roasting. If it becomes too thick right before using, just whisk in a little stock.

Inspired by this particular recipe, I decided to make a meatless enchilada by replacing the pork with pre-roasted (a.k.a. leftover) sweet potatoes and black beans. I did keep the pineapple. I caramelized the pineapple in a saute pan then added the potatoes and black beans. I added a little bit of chicken stock, a teeny bit of adobo sauce, salt, pepper, and lime juice and let it cook all together. I turned off the heat then added some cream cheese and grated cheddar into the mix. I rolled up the mix into tortillas and topped with the enchilada sauce and more grated cheddar. I baked it at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.


Wah-lah. Since you are on the edge of your seat to find out what I did with the heirlooms, here you go. With the heirlooms, I made a tomato and avocado salsa by combing the heirlooms, avocado, lime juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper and slightly crushed it in the process of mixing it together. 


So fresh on top of the enchiladas. Devoured.







No comments:

Post a Comment